Quinnipiac University's School of Law seeks applicants for an Assistant Director of Career Development and Experiential Education. This is a new position designed to integrate responsibilities for professional development shared by Career Development and Experiential Education.
For the Career Development office, you will provide individual career counseling to students, advise them on how to develop career paths, and assist them with resumes, cover letters and other application materials. You will also be responsible for significant programs on writing samples, interviewing, and networking; maintaining content on QULCC (the career web site); and boosting the law school’s profile in the legal community through involvement in the Connecticut Bar Association and other bar and legal professional organizations. You will report directly to the Associate Dean for Career Development.
You will also work with the Associate Dean of Experiential Education to place and supervise students in externships; counsel upper-class students in connection with their externships; assist with professional development and experiential courses, including a new course for 1Ls entitled Foundations of Practice which focuses on professional skills, identity, and ethics.
You will help design and implement systems and practices coordinating work of the Career Development Office and the Experiential Learning faculty as they help students develop their professional goals and identities.
|About the School of Law:
||The Quinnipiac School of Law is a collaborative and diverse community of students, teachers and legal professionals dedicated to educating the “whole lawyer” — one who embodies deep personal and professional values, thinks holistically about client needs, and applies a thorough and nuanced understanding of the law to make a measurable impact on society. Our core values of diversity and inclusion are vital to achieving justice for all people without bias or discrimination. The School of Law respects the backgrounds, life experiences and viewpoints of everyone in our community. Our program blends rigorous classroom instruction with extensive practical training. Our faculty members are accomplished attorneys, respected scholars and mentors who represent a broad range of legal specialties. We enjoy robust partnerships with more than 350 externship field sites across the Northeast. We run eight on-campus law clinics and three student-edited scholarly journals. Our competition teams in Moot Court, Mock Trial, and Dispute Resolution regularly win regional tournaments and represent our school at the national level. Our graduates consistently achieve outstanding results on the Connecticut Bar Exam and go on to secure employment in exciting positions that require or prefer a law degree. The School of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a proud member of the Association of American Law Schools.
||Quinnipiac is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution located 90 minutes north of New York City and two hours from Boston. The university enrolls 6,800 full-time undergraduate and 3,000 graduate and part-time students in more than 140 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Computing and Engineering, Education, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing and the College of Arts and Sciences. Quinnipiac consistently ranks among the top regional universities in the North in U.S. News & World Report's America's "Best Colleges" issue. Quinnipiac also is recognized in The Princeton Review's "The Best 387 Colleges." Quinnipiac has been named a "Great College to Work For" as determined by a comprehensive industry survey. Please visit qu.edu for more information. An education at Quinnipiac embodies the university's commitment to preparing graduates for 21st-century careers and citizenship, creating an inclusive, excellence-driven community, nurturing and positively impacting internal, local and global communities, and fostering lifelong connections and success. The university believes in educating a diverse student body to become valued and contributing members of their communities through vital and purposeful educational programs. Students engage with real-world issues through practice and considering different perspectives. The university's innovative curriculum further prepares undergraduate and graduate students to understand their roles and responsibilities as members of the Quinnipiac community as well as the larger national and global communities.
- Counsel individual students on career paths
- Provide help with resumes, cover letters, writing samples, interviewing
- Help design and conduct career development programming
- Develop and curate information for QULaw Career Connections web site
- Continue existing programs with alumni and affinity bar associations on writing samples, interviewing, using LinkedIn, networking
- Liaise with bench, bar, alumni, potential employers
- Assist with placing and supervising externships
- Develop new externship placements
- Assist with recruiting participants for and running the three-part Bridge to Practice co-curricular programs
- Assist with experiential courses, including Foundations of Practice
- Perform administrative tasks ranging from curating web site to student messaging to ordering supplies for programming and events
- 4 years minimum in legal practice or a JD-advantage job
- Strong communication, analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Facility with computers and learning new systems
- Understanding of nuances of legal practice in a variety of settings
- Imagination, flexibility, and empathy needed to help students “think outside the box” and be thoughtful and active developers of their own careers
- Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff, students, alumni, employers to serve students and enhance the reputation of the law school
- Demonstrated concern for DEI issues such as previous work with affinity bar associations
- Patience with performing administrative tasks
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and a commitment to diversity and inclusion
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications must be submitted electronically and include a resume, cover letter addressing how your experience supports the requirements of this position and Quinnipiac's commitment to diversity and inclusion, and contact information for three references on the application form.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes tuition remission and a culture that is inclusive and driven by excellence.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Please note that the university has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement. For more information, please visit www.qu.edu/health-wellness-and-safety/covid-19-resources/
Quinnipiac University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.