Apply now Back to search results
Job Number: 494799
Campus: Mount Carmel - Hamden, CT
||Quinnipiac University's The Learning Commons invites application for an Academic Coach. Academic Coaches serve the University’s first-year student population and ultimately are champions focused on the academic success of their students. They serve as students’ primary source of academic and developmental support to ensure each student has opportunity to make meaningful progress at the University. Academic Coaches work regularly with their assigned students, helping them to learn and understand University expectations as well as identify and successfully negotiate learning challenges. Academic Coaches partner closely with faculty and staff to ensure each student is aware of the support and engagement required for success. Academic Coaches reflect commitment to their students’ success in their daily work and maintain a deep personal interest and involvement in their students’ academic progress and development.
||Quinnipiac is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution located 90 minutes north of New York City and two hours from Boston. The university enrolls more than 9,500 students in 110 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Computing and Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing, and the College of Arts and Sciences. Quinnipiac is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as both a best-value school and a top national university, and has also earned recognition in Princeton Review’s “The Best 387 Colleges.” Quinnipiac has been named a "Great College to Work For" as determined by a comprehensive industry survey. For more information, please visit qu.edu. Connect with Quinnipiac on Facebook and follow Quinnipiac on Twitter and Instagram @QuinnipiacU.
- Provide direct, comprehensive developmental guidance to assigned students in the current first year cohort
- Serve as an expert in the Quinnipiac University first year academic experience and be able to answer or to obtain answers to the questions students may have
- Provide students with proactive guidance on acclimating to the University in an effort to facilitate their success at the University
- Actively engage with students referred by faculty and staff via Quinnipiac’s early alert process
- Assist students in developing learning strategies based on university-specific, evidence-based best practices
- Help students to engage with resources in any area where they require deeper academic support
- Guide students in cognitive and metacognitive practice and help them develop accountability for their decisions and prepare for success beyond first year
- Support first-year student course registration and provide support for the General Education curriculum exploration and engagement
- Document student interactions in support of first-year student retention
- Lead up to two sections of QU 105
- Participate in faculty development as directed
- Other duties as determined by supervisor
- Master's degree in Higher Education/Student Affairs required
- 1-2 years of experience demonstrating the successful application of cognitive development theory within a collegiate academic context
- Evidence of understanding the issues faced by contemporary college students as they impact their choices and overall academic success
- A strong interest and knowledge of first-year student retention and success
- Extremely strong communication skills to be able to develop meaningful relationships with a large number of first year students
- A demonstrated ability of approaching complex issues with a problem-solving attitude while exercising independent judgment and ethical decision-making
- Experience applying theory to practice in supporting a diverse college student population including but not limited to racial/ethnic diversity, mental health, first-generation students, and students differently abled.
- Ability to work with and adapt to software and technology applications that are used in the support of university practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and a commitment to diversity and inclusion
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications must be submitted electronically and include a resume, cover letter addressing how your experience supports the requirements of this position and Quinnipiac's commitment to diversity and inclusion, and contact information for three references on the application form.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes tuition remission and a culture that is inclusive and driven by excellence.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Please note that the university has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement. For more information, please visit www.qu.edu/health-wellness-and-safety/covid-19-resources/
Quinnipiac University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend