Quinnipiac University's College of Arts & Sciences invites applications for a full-time tenure-track environmental science position at the rank of assistant or associate professor to begin in August 2022. The position will be part of Quinnipiac University’s new interdisciplinary Environmental Studies program, with majors in Environmental Science and Sustainability & Environmental Policy. This is a 9.5 month position.
The primary appointment will be in either the Department of Chemistry & Physical Sciences or the Department of Biological Sciences, depending on the area of expertise.
|About the School/Program:
||The College of Arts and Sciences combines knowledge, skills and perspectives from across the humanities, arts, social and natural sciences. Our graduates are system thinkers who learn to solve problems and work across society, not just in a particular field. Equipped with integrated and interdisciplinary learning tools, they have the ability to see the world through multiple lenses, making them adaptable and versatile – traits that are highly valued by employers in every industry. Our curricula incorporate four key pillars to prepare graduates for the demands of an evolving job market and world; Applied and experiential learning, 21st-century professional skills and literacies, integrated and interdisciplinary thinking, and 360-degree academic and career advising. The College of Arts and Sciences offers undergraduate majors in behavioral neuroscience, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, criminal justice, data science, economics, English, environmental science, game design and development, gerontology, history, independent majors, interdisciplinary studies, law in society, mathematics, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology, Spanish language and literature, sustainability and public policy, and theater. In addition, the College of Arts and Sciences offers 31 undergraduate minors, an MS in Molecular and Cell Biology, and the additional accelerated undergraduate/graduate programs: 3+1 and 4+1 BS/MS programs in Molecular and Cell Biology, 3+3 BA or BS/JD degree, 3+1 BA in Data Science/MS or MA in Communications, 3+1 BS in Data Science/MBA, 3+1 BS in Economics/MS in Accounting, Business Analytics, or Journalism or MBA, 3+1 BA in Theater/MBA or MA in Communications, and 3+2 BA or BS/MSW. Students can also complete a 5-year BA/BS and MA in Teaching in the following secondary education fields: Biology, English, History, Math and Spanish.
||Quinnipiac is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution located 90 minutes north of New York City and two hours from Boston. The university enrolls 7,000 full-time undergraduate and 3,000 graduate and part-time students in 100 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing and College of Arts and Sciences. Quinnipiac consistently ranks among the top regional universities in the North in U.S. News & World Report's America's "Best Colleges" issue. For three years in a row, Zippia ranks Quinnipiac as the #1 institution in the country for employment after graduation. Quinnipiac also is recognized in Princeton Review's "The Best 380 Colleges." Quinnipiac has also been named a "Great College to Work For" as determined by a comprehensive industry survey. For more information, please visit www.qu.edu. An education at Quinnipiac embodies the University's commitment to preparing graduates for 21st century careers and citizenship, creating an inclusive, excellence-driven community, nurturing and positively impacting internal, local and global communities and fostering lifelong connections and success. The University believes in educating a diverse student body to become valued and contributing members of their communities through vital and purposeful educational programs. Students engage with real-world issues through practice and considering different perspectives. The University's innovative curriculum further prepares undergraduate and graduate students to understand their roles and responsibilities as members of the Quinnipiac community as well as the larger national and global communities.
- Develop and maintain an active research program involving undergraduates,
- Apply for outside research funding
- Publish in appropriate peer-reviewed journals
- Teaching responsibilities for this position will initially be in the foundational environmental science lecture and lab courses
- Advise students in the program
- May be an opportunity to teach more advanced courses within the area of expertise of the candidate
- May be an opportunity to contribute to the leadership and implementation of the program and to work with Admissions to market and recruit outstanding students
- A PhD in environmental science, chemistry, biology, or related field is required at the time of appointment
- Applicants who can relate work in the sciences to issues related to environmental justice are encouraged
- A strong foundation in both the biological and chemical sciences as they relate to environmental issues
- Preference will be given to candidates with relevant college teaching experience in environmental science and/or sustainability, as well as chemistry and/or biology, to a broad audience.
- Applicants with expertise and research interests that complement and allow for collaboration with current environmentally focused faculty members are desired
- Committed to excellence in teaching
- Commitment to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications must be submitted electronically and include a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references on the application form.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes tuition remission and a culture that is inclusive and driven by excellence.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Please note that the university has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement. For more information, please visit www.qu.edu/health-wellness-and-safety/covid-19-resources/
Quinnipiac University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.