The School of Business at Quinnipiac University invites applications for a Department Chair of Accounting with an expected start date of Fall 2024. This full-time position is at the rank of Associate or Full Professor with the possibility of tenure. The successful candidate will bring an excitement for opportunities for growth in the accounting profession and in preparing students for successful careers through state of the art accounting education. The department seeks a positive collegial strategic leader who will foster a student-centered environment, mentor and support departmental scholarship, and spearhead departmental efforts in pedagogy, research, and service.
|About the Department:
The accounting department offers B.S. and M.S. degrees in accounting. The department also supports a variety of graduate courses in the MBA and Professional MBA programs. Our undergraduate and graduate programs prepare students for the CPA exam and success in a variety of careers in the public and private sectors. Students gain valuable exposure to the accounting profession through internships, our VITA tax preparation program, and interactions with professionals at our Accounting Society and events hosted by our Superior Status Beta Alpha Psi chapter.
Accounting faculty are dedicated to both teaching excellence and scholarly inquiry. Faculty in the accounting department have diverse research interests, spanning accounting education, financial accounting, auditing, personal financial planning, data analytics, healthcare, governmental/ nonprofit accounting, and more. We value high-quality teaching and collaborative research among department faculty.
Looking to the future, in addition to preparing students for the CPA and CMA exams, we envision the design of new specializations, certifications, and/or stackable credentials (e.g., data analytics, tax compliance and planning, and personal financial planning). We welcome applications from candidates who have the interest, ability, and currency to contribute to this vision.
About the School:
The mission of the Quinnipiac University School of Business is to help students develop into enlightened global citizens and thriving professionals and leaders in careers of the 21st century. To fulfill this mission, the school fosters a vibrant learning environment by developing innovative pedagogies, advances an inclusive learning community, supports faculty efforts to advance knowledge and inquiry through research and scholarship, offers stimulating, real-world applied and immersive learning, and engages with the business community. Our 99.7% placement rate among undergraduates and graduates within 6 months of graduation is a strong index of our success.
The Quinnipiac University School of Business is a dynamic, student-centric community that includes 1450 undergraduate and 550 graduate students. We offer 13 undergraduate majors, 15 minors, 3 dual degree programs, 4 accelerated dual degree programs, and 5 graduate degree programs. We offer in-classroom as well as online programs. We are an AACSB-accredited school in business and have earned the distinctive AACSB accreditation in accounting. Our 60 full-time faculty, administrators, and administrative support staff are committed to excellence in teaching, research, and service. The school is a signatory to the UNPRME. As a part of its vision for the future, the School of Business is constructing a new building to create an environment to enhance students’ learning and social development while providing faculty state-of-the-art facilities for research, advanced pedagogy, and immersive learning approaches.
Quinnipiac is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution located 90 minutes north of New York City and two hours from Boston. The university enrolls more than 9,500 students in 110 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Computing and Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing, and the College of Arts and Sciences. Quinnipiac is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as both a best-value school and a top national university, and has also earned recognition in Princeton Review’s “The Best 387 Colleges.” Quinnipiac has been named a "Great College to Work For" as determined by a comprehensive industry survey. For more information, please visit qu.edu. Connect with Quinnipiac on Facebook and follow Quinnipiac on Twitter and Instagram @QuinnipiacU.
- Provide leadership and service to the Department, School, and University in collaboration with the Dean, Associate Deans, and other Department Chairs
- Oversee the separate accounting department AACSB Accreditation process and Assurance of Learning efforts
- Manage the budget, staffing, scheduling of courses, and other administrative duties of the department as needed
- Study industry trends and opportunities in the accounting field. Translate, implement, and develop departmental offerings including micro credentials and certificates, etc. relevant to the field
- Participate in outreach activities with various external stakeholders (e.g., alumni, and the accounting and business community)
- Maintaining a productive relationship with the department’s Accounting Advisory Council.
- Mentor, advise, and evaluate department faculty
- Lead faculty recruitment and development efforts, including onboarding and mentoring of new and current faculty as needed
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses on-ground and/or online as needed (teaching load is reduced for the Chair)
- Prepare and deliver active learning course content and engaging class activities; compile, administer, and grade assignments/examinations
- Conduct research and publish in high-quality journals. Maintain AACSB Scholarly Academic status.
- Serve as the Master of Accounting (MSA) program director
- Support recruitment, mentoring, and retention of students, including through student advising.
- Participating in workshops, retreats, and other relevant activities
- Collaborate with other members of the Quinnipiac community to support the University’s mission and vision
- A Ph.D. in accounting from an AACSB accredited university, or other relevant terminal degree.
- Record of continuing academic excellence in scholarship and teaching that merit appointment at the rank of Associate or Full Professor of Accounting.
- Evidence of effective experience in higher education administration, with demonstrated experience in or potential for departmental leadership.
- A relevant professional certification (e.g., CPA, CMA, CFP®) is preferred.
- Experience teaching at the undergraduate level and/or graduate level, preferably in various modalities.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and management skills; experience working with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in innovative teaching on an individual and team basis.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in service activities, e.g., at the college, university, and professional levels.
- Commitment to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications must be submitted electronically and include:
- A cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the role, highlighting your teaching, scholarly, and administrative achievements
- A curriculum vitae
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., course evaluations, if available)
- Job market paper or other research samples
- Statement describing your leadership experience and interest in the Chair position, as well as an experience with and commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the academic community
- Contact information for three references
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes tuition remission and a culture that is inclusive and driven by excellence. Salary is AACSB competitive.
Quinnipiac University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.