||Quinnipiac University invites applicants for the position of Director of Training and Professional Standards. This position will be responsible for the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of training programs for the Public Safety Department to ensure that all personnel are highly qualified and well trained to perform their duties. Develops curriculum, conducts Public Safety and University community education and training classes, maintains training and compliance records. Assists with recruiting, selecting, pre-employment background investigation and training of new officers. Assists with policy development, internal affairs investigations, and critical incident review, thereby ensuring quality assurance in department operations and the highest level of professional conduct by department personnel. Collaborates closely with University Emergency Management Team (EMT) to conduct multi-year training and exercises tied into crisis and emergency event mitigation, preparation, communication, and training.
||Quinnipiac is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution located 90 minutes north of New York City and two hours from Boston. The university enrolls more than 9,500 students in 110 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Computing and Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing, and the College of Arts and Sciences. Quinnipiac is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as both a best-value school and a top national university, and has also earned recognition in Princeton Review's "The Best 387 Colleges". Quinnipiac has been named a "Great College to Work For" as determined by a comprehensive industry survey. For more information, please visit qu.edu. Connect with Quinnipiac on Facebook and follow Quinnipiac on Twitter and Instagram @QuinnipiacU.
- Maintains a comprehensive knowledge of training principles, procedures, and presentation techniques; conducts ongoing research on new training techniques and programs.
- Develops and maintains training databases; tracks and maintains training hours, attendance and required certifications and credentials for each employee in compliance with department, state, and federal rules and regulations; prepares reports.
- Prepares, maintains, and updates training content and materials; evaluates effectiveness; makes necessary changes to improve training based upon training needs analysis, training outcomes, and input from departmental feedback. Provides remedial training as necessary.
- Assigns and schedules department personnel for training. Tracks time and attendance.
- Tracks overtime use as it relates to training hours, produces graphs, reports and charts.
- Serves as Firearm Range Master*. Instructs, evaluates and qualifies Armed Public Safety Officers in the use of department issued firearms. Ensures compliance with State firearms licensing.
- Provides training to department personnel in the use of baton, handcuffs and chemical agents.
- Conducts Active Shooter Training for the University community.
- Conducts personal safety and crime prevention training for students, staff and faculty.
- Serves as point of contact for procurement requirements when third party training services must be obtained.
- Establishes the training schedule and curriculum for new hire orientation. Coordinates with other departments to provide orientation training support.
- Coordinates the department’s Field Training Program; assigns training schedules to Field Training Officers and Trainees.
- Assists the FTO Sergeant by monitoring trainee progress, reviews Daily Observation Reports and ensures that FTO training records and materials are completed, reviewed and filed.
- Maintains department personnel training files consistent with established IACLEA standards.
- Coordinates new equipment purchases and provides training in the use of new equipment.
- Will establish and coordinate the department’s recruitment and retention program in conjunction with the Office of Human Resources.
- Assists with new hire screening and pre-employment background investigations.
- Assists with Internal Affairs investigations and use of force reviews.
- Assists with department policy development.
- Partnering and assisting with the development of campus-wide Emergency Operations plans and preparedness projects in support of the vision and mission of the Emergency Management Team (EMT).
- Assist in assessing and revising emergency preparedness plans, develops outreach programs and activities for the University community.
- Ensures all Public Safety members receive Emergency Management-related training.
- Assists and supports major event planning such as athletic events and commencement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Master's Degree preferred
- CT Pistol Permit
- Certification in handcuffing, baton, chemical agents (OC spray)
- State of Connecticut certification to teach Guard Card/Blue Card
- NRA Firearms Instructor (*preferred and/or ability to obtain certification)
- NRA Range Safety Officer (*preferred and/or ability to obtain certification)
- FTO Program/Supervisory Level Training (preferred)
- P.O.S.T. Firearms Instructional Training (preferred)
- Valid State driver’s license
- CT Blue Card/Guard Card, ADD (*preferred and/or ability to obtain certification)
- Degree or certificate in Emergency Management related field or equivalent work experience (*preferred and/or ability to obtain certification)
- Working knowledge of NIMS-700 and ICS-100, 200 and 300 (*preferred and/or ability to obtain certification)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- Leadership skills
- Excellent organizational and management skills
- Ability to create lesson plans, learning objectives, course curriculum, experiential learning techniques, training evaluations and tests
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to flex schedule when needed or requested by the Chief or designee
- Computer Skills: Word, Excel, Zoom, Power Point, Telestaff, NexGen
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and a commitment to diversity and inclusion
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications must be submitted electronically and include a resume, cover letter addressing how your experience supports the requirements of this position and Quinnipiac's commitment to diversity and inclusion, and contact information for three references on the application form.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes tuition remission and a culture that is inclusive and driven by excellence.
Quinnipiac University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.