||Quinnipiac University's Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine invites applications for the position of Gynecologic Teaching Associate.
Gynecological Teaching Associates (GTAs) are individuals who are specially trained to utilize their own body as a teaching tool allowing learners to practice pelvic, rectal and breast / chest examination techniques in a supportive, non-threatening environment. They also address the communication skills needed to provide a comfortable exam, in a standardized manner.
This is a part-time position which is not benefits-eligible. This position requires a flexible schedule.
|About the School of Medicine:
||The Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University is a diverse community of active learners, faculty and partnering clinicians. Named after the famed medical illustrator, Frank H. Netter, MD, the medical school honors his legacy with a clear vision of wellness and a dedication to practicing medicine with precision and a sense of humanity. The core values of diversity and inclusion are central to realizing this vision and achieving excellence in medical education, scholarship, and the delivery of clinical care. The school fosters a collaborative teaching and learning community free of discrimination, where diversity in its broadest sense is celebrated and inclusivity is a responsibility shared by all members. The school’s MD program is intentionally designed to combine essential clinical skill building with the development of patient-centered skills, guided by faculty, advisers and community physicians. Faculty members and administrators are renowned educators, scholars and experts in their respective medical specialties, and the medical school maintains a strong network of clinical partners and affiliates in New England. It is fully accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education and is a member of the Association of American Medical Colleges. In March 2020, the fourth graduating class matched to prestigious residency programs located in 22 states plus the District of Columbia.
||Quinnipiac is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution located 90 minutes north of New York City and two hours from Boston. The university enrolls 7,000 full-time undergraduate and 3,000 graduate and part-time students in 100 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing and College of Arts and Sciences. Quinnipiac consistently ranks among the top regional universities in the North in U.S. News & World Report’s America’s “Best Colleges” issue. Quinnipiac also is recognized in Princeton Review’s “The Best 380 Colleges.” The Chronicle of Higher Education has named Quinnipiac among the “Great Colleges to Work For.” For more information, please visit www.qu.edu. An education at Quinnipiac embodies the University’s commitment to three core values: high-quality academic programs, a student-oriented environment, and a strong sense of community. The University believes in educating a diverse student body to become valued and contributing members of their communities through vital and purposeful educational programs. Students engage with real-world issues through practice and considering different perspectives. The University’s innovative curriculum further prepares undergraduate and graduate students to understand their roles and responsibilities as members of the Quinnipiac community as well as the larger national and global communities.
Note: Teaching may be performed with individual learners or small groups of learners. Instructional formats may include independent teaching or partnered teaching with a clinical preceptor or other GTA.
- Allow medical and health professional students to learn proper technique for performing the breast / chest exam, including inspection and palpation. GTA's will guide the student through the learning process while each learner performs the breast / chest exam on the GTA's body
- Allow students to learn proper technique for performing the pelvic exam, including external and internal inspection and palpation. Gynecological exam procedures to include palpation for lymph nodes, vaginal speculum exam, bi-manual exam, recto-vaginal exam. GTAs will guide the student through the learning process while each learner performs the pelvic exam on the GTA body
- Provide learners teaching and feedback on integrating proper techniques for sensitive communication and relaxation before, during, and after the physical examination to support the importance of patient-centered healthcare and expand learner perspectives on female anatomy and sexuality
- Provide support and feedback to learners, to maximize the learning experience and build learner confidence
- Maintain standardized instructional curriculum and teaching format
- Assist in the training and development of other GTAs, as needed
- High school diploma or GED required
- College preferred
- Prior experience as a GTA in another health program is required
- Appropriate medical suitability for participation in multiple well-breast and well-pelvic physical examinations during a single day
- An appreciation for the importance of regular and comprehensive well-woman exams. A commitment to the advancement of women's health and sensitive "patient-centered" healthcare
- Comfortable with one's own body and sexuality.
- A high degree of professionalism and credibility
- Ability to employ one's own body as a tool of instruction.
- Ability to establish rapport with learners and to reduce learner anxiety
- Must be highly dependable and be able to honor scheduled commitments
- Flexible schedule and availability
- Proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English
- Ability to send and receive emails
- Ability to adapt to changes in work environment and scheduling
- Demonstrate above average verbal communication skills
- Models must be familiar with and comfortable with the specific examination procedures taught in the labs where they work
- Commitment to engage in providing an academic and work environment that respects the contributions, talent, and diverse experience of all of our students, faculty, and staff
||At this time, we cannot consider anyone who is in one or more of the following statuses:
- Enrolled as a student at Quinnipiac
- Under 18 years old
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
||Quinnipiac University is considering only those applicants who have valid authorization to work in the United States. Quinnipiac University does not sponsor employment based visas for this position.
Applications must be submitted electronically and include a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references on the application form.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
Quinnipiac University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.