Senior Writer and Editor
Apply now Back to search results
Job Number: 493583
Campus: Mount Carmel - Hamden, CT
Quinnipiac University seeks applications for a Senior Writer and Editor. This role will report to the Director of Editorial Services within Integrated Marketing Communications. The Senior Writer and Editor is responsible for delivering high-volume, high-quality content for internal and external departments' requests. We seek a strong writer who easily develops content that spans across multiple types of media (website, digital media, print, social media).
In this role, you will write, create and edit fresh and engaging content for Quinnipiac Magazine, the university website including Quinnipiac Today, and other electronic and print communications. You will also develop, write and edit brand stories and complete additional writing and editing assignments, including Commencement citations and programs. The position will also provide editorial coverage for events (e.g. Commencement, Match Day, Center for Excellence) and special projects such as Annual Reports.
||Quinnipiac is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution located 90 minutes north of New York City and two hours from Boston. The university enrolls 7,000 full-time undergraduate and 3,000 graduate and part-time students in 100 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, Nursing and College of Arts and Sciences. Quinnipiac consistently ranks among the top regional universities in the North in U.S. News & World Report's America's
Best Colleges issue. Quinnipiac also is recognized in Princeton Review's
The Best 380 Colleges. Quinnipiac has been named a
Great College to Work For as determined by a comprehensive industry survey. For more information, please visit www.qu.edu. An education at Quinnipiac embodies the University's commitment to preparing graduates for 21st century careers and citizenship, creating an inclusive, excellence-driven community, nurturing and positively impacting internal, local and global communities and fostering lifelong connections and success. The University believes in educating a diverse student body to become valued and contributing members of their communities through vital and purposeful educational programs. Students engage with real-world issues through practice and considering different perspectives. The University's innovative curriculum further prepares undergraduate and graduate students to understand their roles and responsibilities as members of the Quinnipiac community as well as the larger national and global communities.
- Craft interesting, multidimensional profiles and brand stories with assigned deadlines
- Produce clearly written and well-researched, longer issue-oriented magazine pieces
- Contribute ideas for brand stories and magazine features and other content
- Edit and fact check publications, from magazine articles and view books to posters and invitations
- Occasionally collaborate with designers and video producers to create compelling videos, illustrations or web infographics
- Coordinate and conduct interviews with subjects for stories and visual content. Cover events when assigned (occasional night or weekend work required)
- Assign stories and work with freelance writers
- Collaborate with Live Channels, social media, websites, the magazine editor and public relations professionals to ensure maximum use of content on multiple platforms
- Network and build relationships with university constituents for content idea cultivation
- Write citations for Commencement and other events
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications required
- Master's degree in Journalism or Communications preferred
- Experience may substitute for some of the above education
- A minimum of 10 years in a writing/editing position
- Excellent writing skills for multiple types of content
- Stellar project management skills
- Keen news judgment
- Strong editing skills
- Knowledge of AP style
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (InDesign and Photoshop a plus)
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to collaborate and establish an efficient work flow
- Understanding of the printing process desired
- Strong research skills required
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and a commitment to diversity and inclusion
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications must be submitted electronically and include:
- A resume
- A cover letter addressing how your experience supports the requirements of this position and Quinnipiac's commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Writing samples (include long-form and short-term samples and across different media types)
- Contact information for three references on the application form.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes tuition remission and a culture that is inclusive and driven by excellence.
Quinnipiac University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend