The Vice President, Communications & Marketing is the senior-most executive responsible for communications, marketing, branding, and public relations, serving as a member of the President’s management committee. The incumbent will be charged with shaping and advancing the University’s message and brand within its community and driving local, state, national, and global communications. As a dynamic leader and change agent, the Vice President’s goal will be to reinforce existing communications strengths and further establish innovative, substantive, and proactive messaging across all communication platforms.
As a strategic advisor, the Vice President will serve as a communications and marketing resource for the President and the University’s senior leadership. This person will be responsible for setting and communicating the direction of the University’s central communications through the creation of a vision and strategic priorities that reflect the University’s mission and strategic plan, addressing target audiences and key stakeholders, as well as ensuring alignment and consistency of communications across the institution. The Vice President will also cultivate and sustain beneficial and collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders to advance the University’s strategic communications priorities.
||Quinnipiac University is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian institution situated on three separate campuses. The University enrolls over 7,000 full-time undergraduate students and 3,000 graduate and part-time students in 100 degree programs through its Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Medicine, and Nursing, and its College of Arts and Sciences. The University believes in educating a diverse student body to become valued and contributing members of their communities through learning programs that position students to be enlightened citizens prepared for 21st century careers.
- Provide vision, leadership, and counsel for University communications and marketing in alignment with the University’s strategic plan. Establish, communicate, and revise the mission, vision, and initiatives for the University’s communications units to ensure alignment with strategic priorities
- Serve as the President’s senior-most executive for communications and marketing, with responsibility for oversight and direction of those functions and staff
- Formulate and manage a comprehensive media relations strategy and program at the local, state, national, and global levels encompassing print, television, and social media outlets. Engage with key print, broadcast, and digital media outlets, both proactively and reactively, and provide media training to University leaders and faculty
- Collaborate to strengthen, align, and guide the University’s overall and unit brands through strategic marketing activities. Ensure brand standards are maintained and consistent throughout the organization
- Take a research-based approach to identify key messages and audiences, and work consistently to tell University stories, weaving them together to create a consistent, unified message in support of the Quinnipiac brand to a broad range of targeted, diverse audiences
- Work with University senior leaders, faculty, and staff to assess the University’s communications and marketing needs and identify strong messages, compelling stories, and key audiences
- Collaborate across schools and administrative units – including admissions, government and community relations, development and alumni affairs, and athletics – to align messages and to promote key initiatives of the University
- Reinforce a culture of excellence, innovation, and creativity, one that is proactive and quick to mobilize around important issues facing the University at all levels
- Anticipate, prepare for, preempt, and mitigate issues with the potential to negatively impact the University’s reputation. Oversee issues-management and crisis communications plans and advise senior leaders in the event of a crisis
- Lead strategy and provide oversight for internal communications to ensure that faculty, staff, alumni, students, and their families are kept informed of the University’s goals, objectives, and progress. This will include the creation of a framework and content for the internal and external websites.
- Develop benchmark criteria and track and evaluate the effectiveness of communications and marketing strategies on a regular basis
- Plan, develop, and implement marketing, communications, community relations, and digital strategies for Quinnipiac while monitoring the success of these strategies
- Cultivate and sustain collaborative relationships/partnerships with external stakeholders, government and community leaders, businesses, and foundations
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Office of Marketing and Communications including staff supervision and evaluation, workflow efficiency, budgeting, planning, and professional development
- Develop and mentor staff performance based on goals, accountabilities, objectives, and priorities
- Oversee the Quinnipiac University Poll and University events, including but not limited to Commencement and Convocation
- At least 15 years of progressive experience managing communications and/or marketing in a complex, dynamic environment. Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- A holistic understanding of all aspects of communications, positioning, and messaging, including industry best practices in both traditional and emerging media platforms and experience with state-of-the-art communications technology. Demonstrated experience with digital communications strategies and new media
- Proven ability to lead with direct authority and through influence, including partnering across peer leadership groups and deploying resources to support individual units as well as an enterprise-wide narrative. Ability to forge effective relationships, influence, and collaborate internally and externally at all levels
- Demonstrated political savvy in identifying influencers in the broader public context, and in achieving public relations impact among outside stakeholders
- Demonstrated senior leadership experience designing and executing a strategic communications plan in a large, complex, decentralized organization with varied priorities and stakeholders
- Experience managing teams and budgets in a highly complex organization. This includes experience hiring, developing, and retaining high-performing professional teams, as well as evaluation and retention of and change management for existing teams
- Outstanding management and planning skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent and nuanced writing ability and range. Strong interpersonal skills and persuasive presentation and public speaking skills